2.5 CPD points
2017/2018 CPD year
This DVD contains four sessions from the Commercial Litigation stream at QLS Symposium 2017.
Part A - Tortious remedies in commercial litigation
This session will examine the tortious remedies commonly awarded in commercial litigation with a focus on:
- recent developments in the law of remedies in commercial disputes
- damages in tort, in particular factors relevant to the assessment of past and future economic loss
- damages to vindicate property rights and aggravated and punitive damages; and
- factors relevant to issues of mitigation and contribution.
Part B - The psychology of commercial disputes
Disputes in the commercial arena can be highly emotional for clients. This session will help you to better prepare your client for the commercial dispute process to ensure that you get them the best results.
This session will focus on:
- emotional issues in a dispute process
- how to help the client de-escalate emotions
- how clients can become blocked and can't make a decision
- how you can get your client's point across to help the client settle a dispute
- preparing the client for the emotional reactions before they get them.
Part C - Update: Case law, legislation and practice direction
Highlighting the most significant legal and practical changes for commercial litigators in 2016-2017, this session will help you remain up to date in your legal practice
Part D - Ten tips for commercial litigation management
This session will provide a brief update on recent developments in commercial litigation management, e.g. e-trials, as well as provide practitioners with practical hints and tips for:
- managing resources and resources that aren't in the practitioner's control
- identifying roles and costs and what needs to be achieved
- managing your client, other side's client, barristers, QC and junior
- creating a framework to think about litigation (e.g. scoping, planning, managing and closing).